1868 Carl von Linde is called to the newly founded “Royal Polytechnical School in Munich” to serve as Extrordinarius on theoretical machine research.
1872 von Linde is appointed Ordinarius.
1875 Carl von Linde founds the “Laboratory for Theoretical Machine Research”.
1879 Prof. von Linde draws his attention to industrial refrigeration technology, and begins research. 28-year-old Moritz Schröter is appointed Extrordinarius at the Laboratory for Theoretical Machine Research (LTM).
1886 Moritz Schröter is appointed Ordinarius.
1890 First installations for warmth and electricity generation on campus are put in place.
1908 During Schröter’s tenure as rector (until 1911), plans for the new “Light and Power Center” and the “Laboratory for Thermal Engineering” are put into place.
1912 Name change of the “Laboratory for Theoretical Machine Research” to the “Laboratory for Thermal Engineering”.
1914 A. Loschge takes over direction of the “Light and Power Center”.
1918 Construction of the buildings and equipment for the two new institutions is completed.
1920 August Loschge attains the title and rank of Professor.
1922 Prof. Loschge is appointed to the institute for mechanical engineering.
1924 74-year-old professor and privy councilor Schröter is given emeritus status. August Loschge takes over Schröter’s lectures on mechanical engineering.
1925 After being appointed Ordinarius for theoretical mechanical engineering, Wilhelm Nußelt begins to share the direction of the “Laboratory for Thermal Engineering” with A. Loschge, and takes over the theoretical section of the mechanical engineering lectures at the Institute.
1951 The end of the Nußelt era in the laboratory for thermal engineering, as the meanwhile broadly stretched field begins to branch off into more specific areas of study.
1952 E. Schmidt is appointed is appointed Nußelt’s successor at the institute of technical thermodynamics. Prof. Loschge is given emeritus status, and continues to run the Institute until
1954 on a provisional basis. R. Stroehlen is appointed director of the institute and laboratory for thermal engineering, as well as of the Heat Power Plant (formerly known as the “Light and Power Center”).
1963 After Prof. Stroehlen’s return to industrial work, the institute is run by provisionally for three years by H. Netz, until
1966 , when H.-J. Thomas is appointed Ordinarius of the “Institute for Steam Turbines”.
1971 The name of the institute is changed again, this time to “The Institute for Thermal Power Plants ("with Heat Power Plant")”
1990 D. Hein joins the tradition-steeped education and research center.
1996 At the urging of Prof. Hein, a Cheng-Cycle plant for combined heat and power is put into operation in Garching.
1997 The Department of Mechanical Engineering completes its move to Garching.
2002 Upon the retirement of Prof. D. Hein, the responsibility for the operation of the Heat Power Plant is appropriated to the technical operation department of the TUM. At first, the Institute is used as a research center for eco-friendly energy systems.
2004 After a brief intermission (Prof. Sattelmayer, LTD), Prof. Hein again takes over the Institute on a provisional basis, until
2004 , when, on the tenth of December, Prof. Spliethoff succeeds him as head of the Institute. As a result of the new leadership, the Institute, until that point known as the Institute for Thermal Power Plants (in the mean time "without Heat Power Plant"), changed its name once again to what it is today: “The Institute for Energy Systems”.